April 10, 1960 (age 58)|
|Education||Salisbury State University|
|Occupation||co-founder of Aerotek, owner of the Baltimore Ravens|
US $ 1.5 billion (est.)|
|Board member of||
Associated Catholic Charities|
Mother Seton Academy
|Children||two: Jason, Jack|
Stephen J. Bisciotti (born April 10, 1960 in Philadelphia) is the current majority owner of the Baltimore Ravens of the National Football League. He founded a family of technical staffing companies known as Allegis Group, which owns AeroTek and TekSystems.
Steve Bisciotti came from a working-class family in a Baltimore suburb. His parents, Bernard and Patricia Bisciotti, moved to Severna Park, Maryland, in March 1961. His father died of leukemia when Steve was eight.
Growing up, Bisciotti loved sports. His father took the children to Baltimore Orioles and Colts games. In his senior year at Severna Park High School, he played on the football team, though he has said he "wasn't much of a high school athlete."
In 1982, Bisciotti graduated from Salisbury State University in Maryland with a degree in liberal arts. A year later, at 23, he and his cousin Jim Davis started Aerotek, a staffing company in the aerospace and technology sectors. Running the company out of a basement office with secondhand equipment, Bisciotti and Davis produced $1.5 million in sales in the first year. Aerotek grew into the Allegis Group, which is now the largest privately held staffing firm in the United States and 6th in the world. Bisciotti's involvement in the sports business has brought more attention to his once low profile company.
On March 27, 2000, NFL owners approved the sale of 49% of the Ravens to Bisciotti. In the deal, Bisciotti had an option to purchase the remaining 51% for $325 million in 2004 from Art Modell. On April 9, 2004 the NFL approved Steve Bisciotti's purchase of the majority stake in the club.
One of the first projects Bisciotti directed as owner of the Ravens was to build the team's state-of-the-art training and practice facility, dubbed "The Castle," which opened in October 2004.
His stewardship of the Ravens has been calm and professional, often serving as a sharp counterpoint (if not a deliberate one) to the chaos involving the Washington Redskins under the ownership of Daniel Snyder, and trusting in the universally respected management of GM Ozzie Newsome. However, Bisciotti showed he was willing to take strong actions when he fired Brian Billick after the 2007 season, although Billick's eight years as the Ravens' head coach included the team's win in Super Bowl XXXV. He then surprised many observers by selecting John Harbaugh as his new coach, despite Harbaugh's peak of previous experience being a single year as a defensive backs coach after several successful years as the lauded special teams coach for the Philadelphia Eagles; with a 100% success rate of four playoff appearances in four seasons, Bisciotti and Newsome are often mentioned as one of the NFL's best owner-top executive combinations.
Bisciotti is a board member for both Associated Catholic Charities and Mother Seton Academy. He and his wife Renée (Foote) have two sons, Jason and Jack. The family lives on the Severn River in Maryland.
- ↑ "The World's Billionaires (2010): #655 Stephen Bisciotti". Forbes. March 3, 2010. http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/10/billionaires-2010_Stephen-Bisciotti_ZPVC.html. Retrieved February 20, 2011.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "Steve Bisciotti biography". Baltimore Ravens. http://www.baltimoreravens.com/People/Staff/Executive/Steve_Bisciotti.aspx. Retrieved February 4, 2011.
- ↑ "Baltimore Ravens History". Baltimore Ravens. http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/History.aspx. Retrieved February 4, 2011.
- ↑ "Forbes 400 Richest Americans (2005): #378 Stephen J. Bisciotti". Forbes. September 15, 2005. http://www.forbes.com/lists/2005/54/ZPVC.html. Retrieved February 3, 2011. "Net worth: $960 million"
|Baltimore Ravens principal owner|
| Succeeded by|